The 40-minute essay format demands persuasion and analysis. Pupils are offered with three views on a subject and asked to “evaluate and analyze” the views, “state and develop” your perspective that is own to then “explain the connection” between your 3 views and their very own.
Here’s a test from ACT.org
Lots of the products or services we depend on daily are actually supplied by intelligent, automatic devices in place of humans. Robots build vehicles as well as other products on set up lines, where when there have been peoples employees. A number of our phone conversations are now actually carried out maybe maybe not with individuals however with advanced technologies. We could now purchase products at many different shops minus the assistance of a cashier that is human. Automation is typically viewed as an indication of progress, but exactly what is lost once we exchange people with devices? Provided the accelerating variety and prevalence of smart devices, it really is well well worth examining the implications and meaning of these existence within our everyday lives.
Perspective One: that which we lose utilizing the replacement of men and women by devices is some element of our personal mankind. Also our mundane daily encounters not require from us courtesy that is basic respect, and threshold for others.
Perspective Two: Machines are good at low-skill, repeated jobs, and also at high-speed, exceedingly exact jobs. Both in situations they operate better than people. This effectiveness results in a far more successful and world that is progressive everybody else.
Attitude Three: smart devices challenge our ideas that are long-standing just exactly just what people are or are. This really is good since it pushes both humans and devices toward brand brand brand new, unimagined opportunities.
ASSIGNMENT: Write a unified, coherent essay in regards to the increasing existence of smart devices where you address the provided views in addition to offer your very own undertake why you agree or disagree.
- Invest 5-10 minutes preparing your essay: this implies to just take a few moments to arrange your ideas.
- Confirm your understanding of the prompt plus the three views: The views not just add an assertion in regards to the subject but an impression about this. Don’t spend your time attempting to show up having a perspective that is fourth. Your task would be to secure for a viewpoint you feel many comfortable supporting. Keep in mind, your task would be to “analyze the partnership betwixt your viewpoint as well as minimum an added perspective”.
- Brainstorm or write down notes and explanations: Since you’ll need certainly to talk about the relationship betwixt your viewpoint and also at minimum one of several presented perspectives, you will have to evidence that is incorporate your essay.
- Where you’ll get your ‘evidence’:
- The opening of this prompt typically provides examples that are several may use in your essay.
- Utilize individual experience relevant to you personally or somebody you understand and on occasion even be inventive and also make one up!
- Usage statistics: It’s OK in order to make up generalizations that support wisdom that is conventional. By way of example, one strongly related this prompt might be: 80-90% of callers find yourself hanging up whenever prompted by some type of computer over and over repeatedly.
- Usage historical sources or events that are current. As an example: The innovation of this vehicle impacted all facets of our life and literally changed the course of civilization. We are contemplating the impact of driverless cars on society today.
- Keep in mind, there was no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ solution to react to the 3 views. In the event that you disagree because of the very first perspective – dismissive associated with adverse effects of smart devices – you would want to deal with one other two good views in a single paragraph.
NOTE: you merely have to evaluate the connection betwixt your viewpoint and something for the three provided; however, you could analyze both of them relative to your perspective if you have strong evidence for both of the other perspectives.
Utilize this format that is basic to publish your essay. Alot 25-28 moments for composing as well as minimum 3-5 mins to evidence.
Paragraph # 1: Introduction – Your introduction can be your declaration regarding the thesis – your viewpoint. Verify it offers your declaration on the presssing issue introduced also just how it pertains to among the other views. Your intro should really be sentences that are 2-4.
Paragraph # 2: measure the perspective that is first aren’t supporting with PARTICULAR examples.
Paragraph #3: measure the other viewpoint maybe not opted for with PARTICULAR examples.
Paragraph # 4 (and 5): This is basically the paragraph that analyzes the viewpoint you trust and this could be the biggest one, possibly even 2 paragraphs. Once more, examples must certanly be CERTAIN, maybe perhaps not a simple listing!
Last paragraph: Your summary that states the assessment that is final of argument restating your thesis.
This structure helps to ensure that you shall address everything demanded within the project.
Please be aware that we stated CERTAIN examples each amount of time in all caps. This will be I read most essays, examples are merely listed, not elaborated on because I have noticed when! The greater amount of particular the greater. The graders are seeking indications which you have learned something in high school that you know history, current events, literature, science, etc!
Use qualifying adverbs liberally: apparently, just, really, mainly, typically, etc.
Be sure you enable at the least 3-5 mins to proofread your essay to get any “Language Use” mistakes: (grammar, mechanics, syntax, and term option) since that is one of many requirements employed for scoring.
You certainly will get an overall total of five ratings with this test: just one subject-level writing rating reported on a selection of 2-12, and four domain ratings, additionally 2-12, which can be centered on a scoring rubric that is analytic. The subject-level rating will function as the average of this four domain scores. The four domain ratings are:
Tips and research developing and help Organization Language Use and Conventions
A picture of the essay may be offered to your school that is high and universities you want to get ACT scores forwarded to.
The essay is optional and will also be the last part on the ACT. Numerous universities need the essay, therefore you are applying, it’s best to take the test with the essay if you are unsure where.